Old Singer sewing machine.

My friend's husband gave me an old singer sewing machine today.
She passed away about a month ago, I still cannot believe it since he telephoned me to let me know her death. Sounds like he started to clean his house, she had a little crafty life but not much. He told me that he purchased the sewing machine for her, but she didn't use it often so it is almost in new condition.



It has many decorations stitches that my sewing machine doesn't have.



Looks like the model number is 4832.
This sewing machine was made in 1993, and wasn't used for 16 years. I cannot know if this run properly since I don't have any attachments includes AC cord and foot controller. It only has a straight stitch foot... (and one needle) My died brother machine's darning foot seems to fit.

I looked on the internet about this machine, model 4832 looks still being used by people, I felt like it is not that old, and I found compatible foot controller for this machine.

I am now thinking to bring this machine to repair shop for maintenance so that I would be able to know if this machine performs or not.

My Nancy Jr. (Old Kenmore sewing machine made in Japan which was given by Nancy) is in bad mood lately. The foot controller become very hot after 15 minutes sewing.
I can bring both of these sewing machine to the repair shop for quote (anyway), and if the repairing cost is less than buying new foot controller, I will ask them to fix. But anyway, it's been almost a year since Nancy Jr. become my family. It is time to vacuum clean inside.


I was given bunch of yarns by her husband as well...., some of them were stopped in the middle of process. The yarns generously contain odor of her house, I miss her very much...

Comments

  1. I would definitely take it to the shop, it seems like it's a really nice machine. Besides, it's always good to have an extra machine when you regular one breaks down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I took 2 of my machines to the repair shop today. I don't decide to repair (if needed) it yet, but they give me free estimate. I worried about some parts made with rubber may be destroyed through the years, but they said that oil get very thick like rubber if you don't use it such a long time. So it end up cleaning each parts inside - it costs $89 -. They said the original price of the Singer machine is around $300, so it may worth for cleaning... Surprisingly, they said my old Kenmore machine is 3 times or more better than the Singer. It has all metal body, it would last whole my life if I take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:02 PM

    I am sorry your friend died. :(
    It is nice of her husband to give you something that belonged to her, so you can think of her as you work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    The sewing machine is now at the repairing shop. They said it will be done in today, so I can pick up anytime after tomorrow :) I cannot wait for using it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You call it an "old" machine but not to me...lol.
    This type of electric machine has less trouble, it's just my opinion through my experience tho.
    I never took my Brother to the service until its 9th year and I was using heck out of it. Simple and easy to use, too. Enjoy your new sewing pal :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. How Singer Featherweights differ from Nancy Johnson's "THE PERFECT PORTABLE"
    There are some differences in the motor mount screws. There is a long and short screw and if you get the long version of the motor mount screw and try to screw it in a machine that uses the short version you will break the motor mount housing on the motor. Thus it will ruin the motor housing and you will have to replace the motor. the shorter version was used in the bakolite version of the motor. Some of the black 221K and the white 221k machine use the short version of the motor mount screw. Thanks for reading and if you need either version of the motor mount screw I sell them at; Just click the following link. Singer Featherweight 221 parts! www.homejobshome.com/singer221part

    ReplyDelete
  7. StitchinSista,
    OH. This is not old?? As you know, my knowledge about sewing machine is almost nothing.... I thought this is old because it was made in 1993. ha ha.
    This machine is still staying in the repair shop, I am thinking to get both machines on next Monday. I am looking forward to using it very much, really!
    I think I would buy Brother next time when I need. You seem to like Brother very much, and my cheap Brother worked very well until it died. Not computerized one though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bob,
    Thanks for posting your message!
    I am really bad at machines, I am not sure what you are talking about....., but thank you for the info of your shop! My husband is an engineer, so he might know about it. I will keep your shop URL for future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment