Artichoke.

Have you ever tried to cook artichokes??

My housemate kindly let me experienced it. He has a pressure cooker - he is a most often cook person in this house -, and bought 2 artichokes to play with (?), when we went to shopping together.

After 20 - 25 minutes cooking with the pressure cooker, green artichokes changed the color to brown.


And peal off the skin (petals), peal, peal, peal...., keep pealing....



Deep inside of the petals... Still pealing....

Bunch of hard and thick ciliary showed up. I first thought it would be edible, but....


They are like a broom. Have to get rid of them.


And only this small base of flower is edible. Can you believe this???????
It tasted like bamboo shoot in some flavor. It is also time consuming to cook bamboo shoot, but we can have more to eat.

Anyway we enjoyed it with some wine before going to bed! :)

Have a nice weekend to you all :D

Comments

  1. In my country, it is already on sale the cleaned artichokes waiting for customers to buy in farmers markets or bazaar. So we don't need to clean them. They are quick ready to cook. And, I like artichoke very much. Every year two months, april to end of may, are my artichokes eating time:) We mostly cook it "artichoke with Olive Oil" and "stuffed artichokes (with rice and herbs)". Both way are absolute delicious, super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nihal,
    I think there is "ready-to-eat" artichoke in the USA, too. I haven't looked for it though. My first time to eat artichoke was with cream pasta in a restaurant. "stuffed artichokes with rice and herbs"!! Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can eat the base of the petals, where it is fat. Hold a petal by the tip and eat the fat part, it is lovely! I'm sad you didn't know about that, because you could have had a bigger meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Yes, I agree with The Aethernaut. The inside (the heart) is good but the base of the leaves is my favorite part. (The heart is my husband's favorite part.) You can skip the very outer leaves, but then, take a leaf and hold it by the top part (that sometimes has a sharp part). Dip the bottom into butter or vinaigrette. Now take your teeth and use them to scrape off the part at the very bottom of the leaf. Then put the rest of the leaf down and do it again! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:33 PM

    (Oh, and the butter should be melted. And also, I like your blog! I made a "granny purse" following your tutorial and it worked great. I'm making another one now!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment