Small pillows in Hangul


Holt International Adoption Agency (a organization of Korean adaption) asked me if I am interested in donating a Korean alphabet quilt for their auction, which will be held in October this year.

It will be beyond my capacity in my current activities circumstance to make a Korean alphabet quilt for donation, so I accepted to make a small item instead.

What I am thinking to make is decorative small pillows that have Hangul letters. I am not sure what color scheme is good for the pillows. Once I will make patterns for that, I would also like to try to sell the pillows on my etsy shop - make 2 at once, one for donation and one for sale -. I anyway have around a month for production, so I will play with planning for a while.

Although, I am occasionally asked to be connected to a Korean adoption organization because of the Korean alphabet quilt, I AM A JAPANESE. I cannot read Hangul. The quilt has nothing to do with any Korean adoption organizations. The Korean alphabet quilt is originally a custom made. Hangul to me is just symbols like Japanese to foreigners.

I have one Korean friend in the quilting group I belong to. (Her quilting ability is gorgeous. She study hard, learn quick, and smart. She is not slow like me, and has been improving her skill every day. Amazing! VA Quilting ) I asked her to write "love" and some other good words in Hangul. She said.... she doesn't remember Hangul well since she lives in the USA for 17 years. I live in VA for 7 years. I sometimes cannot remember Japanese words because I don't use it daily. It is very understandable, especially after 17 years living here. She suggested me to use Korean - English online dictionary. It's a good idea! :D Why didn't I think about it!?

So, I chose "love", "freedom", "appreciation/gratitude".

<-- "love"


<-- "freedom"


<-- "appreciation/gratitude"


I initially did PrintScreen the dictionary website in the largest zoom, saved the pictures of Hangul letters. I would then trace them with a drawing application (Adobe Illustrator), print them in reverse, and applique. Once the letters are traced, it is very easy to re-size, make them bold. Or, it might be interesting to see "hand-made looking" without tracing on computers; just print the pictured letters in enlarge and trace them by hand. I may want to try that.


I am looking forward to seeing what the pillows will be look like. Until I decide the color scheme for them, I will enjoy other quilting (and studying (>_<) ) :D

Comments