Steam-a-Seam 2

Very convenient and popular tool for applique. My friend Mai said she has never seen this kind of things in Japan. I feel different culture here too. I think Japanese people prefer to do needle turn applique than fusible web applique.

I use this fusible web for my alphabet quilts - Japanese, Korean, and English -. It works wonderfully!

When I make multiple alphabet quilts, it is time consuming to trace all alphabets onto this fusible web. I have seen other fusible web product that is available to print with your inkjet printer. But it is expensive. The price is about 2 times of Steam-a-Seam 2.

The other day, I was working on this process at Playgroup meeting, and one of the member who saw what I was doing said,

"What are you doing?"
"Why you are taking such a troublesome way?"
"Can you just use copier? I usually do it."

I concerned a little about the fusible web may melt in a copier since heat is used for transcription, and also afraid of the sheet may jam inside and make a big mess...

Then, another member pushed my back,
"Yes, I agree with her. Why don't you just try it? If it go well, it will save a lot of your time!"

I was still afraid of it may harm a copy machine, but remembered Regis (my very helpful housemate) told me I can use his small copier (toner) which is used as a fax machine, which works more simple than a big machine like you see at UPS or Staples. So, I tried it!

OH gosh, I am so glad that I brought this process to the meeting. I appreciate the members who gave me the suggestion!!!


It sometimes jam if you are not careful enough..... but it is still enable.



The sheet size of Steam-a-Seam 2 is larger than regular letter size sheet. So you have to cut it to 8.5 inches wide - I don't care the length size -. The ink doesn't stay on the sheet well, but it is enough for this process.

After I cut each alphabets roughly around of it, remove the back sheet, put it onto wrong side of fabric, and need to be careful for not to use iron directly on the fusible web. Since heat melts the ink from a copier (toner), you have to use another paper to cover the fusible web. Otherwise... you will see another copy of alphabet on the surface of your iron... which I did... and it is hard to remove...

Since this method works very well for me, I don't have to worry about time for tracing alphabets! How nice!

Comments