Japanesey Traditional style quilt.




Finally, new quilt.
Kept thinking of making this, took a while to find right fabrics for this quilt. Since my friend gave me her Japanese boro style fabric about 4 years ago, I was thinking what is good to make with those fabric. I am glad I waited to start the project until I find the batik that go with.

It is interesting to see how "boro" can be an art in foreign country. I think "boro" and "traditional Japanese culture" can be related as kind of art, but original "boro" in Japanese means "dirty", "old", "wear and tear". I don't think my quilt is dirty, old, wear and tear, but I can feel how "boro" and "traditional" can be connected each other.

Hope this quilt will find a good home.

Kyoko

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:59 PM

    The quilt is lovely, Kyoko. I like those blues and browns; those seem to be traditional colors?

    Thank you for posting that link. I had never heard the term boro, and I found the information interesting.

    I would love to own one of your quilts someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyoko (EmiShimosato)8:05 PM

    Hi Liz!
    Thank you!
    Yes, I think blue and brown are traditional color to Japanese. I see a lot those colors in traditional things in Japan.

    I also recently found about boro thanks to my friend bringing up in our conversation. I didn't know boro is considered as an art in here.

    I would be more than happy to make a quilt for you someday!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment