Japanese Custom Quilt


The custom quilt ordered the end of June is done!
The customer sent me most of the materials except batting.
Since I do not have much time for piecing, I really enjoy making a top. I think I still like quilting better than piecing, though.

Here are picture of the front of the quilt.









And, the backing - was pieced with 9 tenugui.





Japanese people in the Edo period...









Japanese indigo fabrics always dye my hands :)



Progression!

Total 80 blocks.



I added some indigo fabric made in US that looks like Japanese fabric since there were not enough from the customer's supply.



Pieced backing :D
Since some tenugui have a unique large pattern, I could not cut it to adjust the size... So the backing was eventually treated as a top. I made the top slightly larger than the backing.



Completed top.



Quilt sandwich - ready for quilting.



Middle of quilting. I do it with a regular sewing machine. It was heavy to move the sandwich around.



Attaching a binding tape.



Completed & ready to ship.



I made 8 coasters as well with small leftover pieces.
5" wide x 40" long, and it was divided by 8.



Binding tape attached. I bound it during the trip to Niagara Falls :D





It was a really exciting job! Thank you so much!!

Hope you are having a great Labor Day weekend :)