"Funiculi, Funicula" vs "Oni no Pants"


"Funiculi, Funicula" (music)


"Funiculi, Funicula" Lyrics

Most of you know this song, don't you.
I had known this song only in Japanese version until my friend pointed out the difference between the original and Japanese one. This song to me is for a kid; I learned it when I was a kindergarten, but the original one is very cheerful and gorgeous!

I have no idea why Japanese changed the lyrics to about .... Monster's panties....
Interesting.

Here is the Japanese lyrics. I translated it into English; so, there might be some better expressions though, anyway.

"Oni's panties" -- Oni means Japanese monsters. Author unknown.

Oni's panrits are good
It's strong, strong

It is made out of tiger's fur
It's strong, strong

It's not worn out after wearing it 5 years
It's strong, strong

It's not worn out after wearing it 10 years
It's strong, strong

Let's wear Oni's panties
Let's wear Oni's panties

You, and you, and you, and you
Why don't we wear Oni's panties
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oni (Japanese monsters) look like this :) Here.


Comments

  1. Anonymous6:37 PM

    OK, I had to comment on this because it is so funny! I guess saying "Why don't we wear Oni's panties" is a way of saying we should be strong? The oni are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the last phrase is meaning that we should wear oni's panties in order to strong. I think Japanese want children to be tough, both physically and mentally! I now remembered my mom always told me that "Don't cry! Stand up!" when I fell down. Sounds like military though... ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment