Antique Handkerchief Quilt


Finally, my original quilt after a long time! - and, my school life starts tomorrow again.

This winter break was fantastic! I had a lot of fun, lots of work, a new challenge, and new experiences. At the beginning of this break, I expected to be able to sew more quilts for my shop, but it ended up just completing two quilts.

Here is one of them - Antique Handkerchief Quilt.









I posted more pictures of this quilt on my Flickr. If you are interested in, please check there also.

This quilt was very fun to work with since I love girly things!
I think it was the last summer that I picked around 20 antique handkerchiefs at yard sale. I thought I would make a quilt and some small items - made a drawstrings bag so far.

The handkerchiefs are antique. Some of them have a little stains and I think it is making the quilt more attractive. Also, since some were a little worn, I sew them onto normal cotton for quilts and made them into two layers to make the material durable.

It took longer to quilt than normal quilts because of the laces.
My darning foot catches thread loops :( I often had to stop quilting to avoid the mess from this.


For the same reason, I do not like to use basting thread to baste a quilt. It catches the thread while quilting.

The second quilt I have made is a simple Japanese quilt using pieces from Yukata, kind of kimono, fabric. Since I wanted to use all the pieces I had, it unexpectedly became large. It can completely cover a queen size bed with drapes - so, it is a queen size, I think.

The pictures of the completed quilt have not been taken yet. I will post them later :D