Delivering Soldier quilts

Today is Dec. 31. I hope you had the great year of 2018, and wish you a happy new year.

At the beginning of Dec, my quilt guild delivered soldier quilts to the local veteran's institution. 19 quilts were distributed to veterans who do not have a family or seldom have a visit from their family and friends.





I have made so many charity quilts including soldier quilts in the past years, but I had never seen people receiving them. It was a shocking experience to me, especially I am not familiar with the military since Japan does not have a military. Also, for American elders served in the military, even grew up after the WWII, Japan was once their enemy and maybe still.

The organizer of charity quilts in the quilt guild is a retired nurse and has a great passion to help others. Every time she handed the quilt to a veteran, she said almost tearing: "Thank you for serving our country and sacrificing yourself" and touched the veteran's shoulders like rubbing, looking at him with love. It may be a normal scene and emotions to Americans when to engage with veterans, but I had a confused feeling and took a while to catch up or understand what was going on here. I simply and naturally sympathized them as many of them were in wheelchairs watching TV emotionlessly, though.

I followed the group of quilting ladies and stood like a tree since I could not find the appropriate words for these scenes and did not know how to react to them. After finished distributing the quilts and came back to the main entrance, I finally started to feel the chip of emotions carried by the quilters and started to tear.

On that day, I realized charity quilts can cheer people up. I saw people can be positive when they learn someone cares and appreciates them. I knew it rationally but did not know it emotionally. There are so many ways to give back to the community that ordinary person, like me, can do. As I am a quilter, this is one of my ways to support the community. Also, participating in a sewing day for charity provides me a social opportunity.

Next year, that starts from tomorrow, I will look for another way to support my community. I am trying to learn about my community through Master Gardener volunteer, which gives me a good practice of socializing as well, there should be something I can do passionately other than making charity quilts.

Hope you enjoy your 2019 fulfilled with what you desire.

Happy New Year!

Comments