Hanafuda Fabric

Hanafuda is a Japanese playing card. Hana means flowers, and fuda means cards in Japanese. The cards depict wild nature seen from Japanese perspectives. I like the simple drawings on them.

I have played the game sometimes when I was a child, but barely remember the rule. I think it was like a matching game - two cards from the same family, such as flower and flower or animals and animals, need to match to take. Because hanafuda was associated with a gamble at that time, I do not carry a positive connotation with hanafuda, accordingly this fabric.



Hanafuda would be just one of the interesting cultural icons for many people including Japanese today. I picked up this fabric from a giveaway table a long time ago without much thinking of its meaning because it was something "Japanesey." Then, I realized myself that I had been avoiding to use it in my projects. It's not only because of the negative connotation but also I feel like the vivid colors do not go well with other settled Japanese color scheme, though.

I made one bag with only this fabric. Unexpectedly, it was sold quickly. If you are interested in the details, here is the listing of this bag (sold).



This sale made me think that this fabric may be attractive to other people. So, I made some pouches and a placemat.





And other pouches with my hand-dyed fabrics.



I think they look good as sales items. Hope they find a good home quickly. I would make more pouches or something else then. It is interesting to see "meaning" associated with a thing becomes a drive for behavior because humans live in a conceptual world.

Comments