Indigo dye in a small amount

For indigo dye, I use the indigo crystals from JACQUARD. I have tried other navy blues from other companies, but I like the indigo color from JACQUARD that they call it true indigo color.

In the past two summers, 2017 and 2016, I did a lot of indigo dye following their instruction that needs 4 gallons of water in a 5-gallon bucket. That is a lot. I was thinking to dye this summer as well, but once it started, it becomes an all-day affair, and I did not have the energy for it this summer.

So, I tried to do indigo dye in one cup of water. The amount of indigo crystals, soda ash, and Thiourea dioxide were calculated from the amount for 4 gallons of water. 
For one cup of water, I used 4+cc of indigo crystals, 7cc of Thiourea dioxide, and 14cc of soda ash. I mixed them in one cup of water in a jar, waited for an hour, and soaked the fabric I wanted to dye in a small plastic tray.



The result was nice. With this small amount of fabric, I can dye easily after dinner. I dyed some bias tapes that I picked up at a giveaway table.


















Next time, I would use a squeeze bottle to drop dye solution on the fabric I like to dye. It would make an interesting pattern.