Happy New Year!

New year's eve and New Year's day is special for Japanese. People cook a special meal for these special days.
Since I cannot get the ingredients for the special meals here and I cannot join the special events that I participate if I am in Japan, around new year makes me feel lonely and being isolated most every year.

Traditionally, we eat soba (buckwheat noodle) from New Year's Eve evening through New Year. Since soba is long, this is for a wish to live long. I did not have soba this year, so I thought spaghetti would be a good alternative for soba. It's a long thing and serves the purpose.

It did not work.
R is allergic to wheat, so we use spaghetti made from brown rice. It is easier to break, ended up the spaghetti became short while cooking...



Also, R mentioned that it is not good to eat at midnight. It's true. I will need to change this tradition next year - eat spaghetti for normal supper and cook spaghetti carefully.

Breakfast for a new year is usually Ozoni. Ozoni is soup with rice cake. There are many kinds of ozoni in Japan since it is local cuisine. Mine is so simple. Cook some veggies in bonito soup and soy source, and add toasted rice cakes.



For lunch - dinner, Japanese people eat a gorgeous meal called Osechi. But my mother was not a good cook, and I did not learn how to make osechi. I anyway cannot get the ingredients to cook osechi, so I cook something Japaneasy.



I am glad R appreciates my cooking. He has never complained about my cooking - he never complains what I do anyway. It was a nice New Year Day. Hope yours was good as well.