Drunkard’s Path quilt - Japanese scraps (2)

Some quilters say sewing a circle is hard, but it is easy when fabric for background comes on the top of the circle (and if you do not mind to do a little hand-stitches). I do not have the patience to sew many circles by applique, but sewing a circle into the fabric (well, big circles).



I took some pictures of my process of my drunkard's path quilt because I wanted to show how easy it is. There is no pattern for it nor marking on fabric. It does not have to be accurate, which is enjoyable for many quilters.

First, pick up fabrics for background (BG) square and a quarter of a circle (QC). My background is 6.5 inches (6 inches finished) square. QC needs to be slightly smaller than BG. My QC is pieced from scraps. I usually do not take a measurement. Just eyeball it. When I find it's too large, I just trim it. It's from scraps anyway.



Layer them the wrong side of BG and the right side of the QC together. The two square's corners need to be met.



Pin the two at the top and side of QC.



Pic of the wrong side.



Cut the curve in the shape you like from the BG. The cutting line needs to be about 3/4" away from the pins because the edge is turned in. If you like 1/4 seam allowance, cut at 1/2" away from the pins.





Press the edge of BG by a finger into the QC and iron on it to firm. It easily goes along with the curve because the BG was cut on the bias.



After ironing, secure the BG on QC with more pins and start stitching. I use a straight stitch.



Trim the extra part of QC off along with the stitch.



Done!



I enjoy this since it does not need a template or cut accurate. Some quilters who like accurate jobs would need a template and certain instruction, but those who enjoy an unexpected result. I started this project because I wanted to sew circles and ended up getting the unexpected result - the shape of 4 QCs do not form a circle anyway, but I like this.



I cannot wait to assemble my new quilt.

Continue to (3).