Sashiko Needle

My first experience with sashiko thread and needles.
I wanted to add sashiko stitches to my quilt “Folklore”, so I did.





I got the thread and needles for sashiko from Amazon.





I did not know sashiko-thread is wound like a yarn. I thought it's the same as an embroidery floss and got into a trouble.



I gave up straightening it and cut them into some sections so that it's easier to unwind.



I noticed the needles for sashiko do not make boro stitching easier on a quilt. I think the needle is too thick for that. Instead, a little thiner needle for basting works a lot better for me.



I thought the sashiko needle would make stitching easier since the thread is thick and the thick needle can make a path for the thick thread going through the fabric. But it turned out that it's hard for the needle to go through the thick layers of fabric (a quilt sandwich). The sashiko thread I use is thin among the sashiko thread family. It was alright with the basting needle. If I use a thicker sashiko thread, the sashiko needles would become handy.

The quilt is done, and was displayed at the local quilt show, which was in March 2019.

I really enjoyed making this quilt, and am working on the new one using the black/navy blue quater circles that were cut out from the blocks of this quilt.