Mung beans

I used to by mung bean seeds for growing sprouts, but I thought I would grow them instead of buying. It is highly nutritious and a nice addition to salads or stir fry.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1daS3pFbfud72mrF2plpJUq-Y6uzDIPG1

This is the third day after germination. It becomes a nice size tomorrow. I usually toss one to two small spoonful seeds to the container, soak in the water for a night, then rinse them once or twice a day after they start germination.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Tp-yzY6mB1o1zLxY6-UOJnAP7Lu5VmrD

I planted the seeds for growing sprouts. I heard beans as seeds last only a year, but the seeds I sowed was 3 years old. So far, only  this much is harvested. Growing mung beans was my first experience this year. I wanted to see how they grow. Since mung bean is a bush bean, I thought they don’t need a support but I was wrong. I planted seeds in between other vegetables anywhere I could find an vacant space. Now they are laying on the ground and most are tangled with other plants or buried among weeds..., not growing well. I will have a decent space for them next year. Otherwise, it’s easy to grow. No need to worry about bugs and wartering them - let rain takes care of them. But I thought they likes half shade. The sprouts in the first picture are from the beans from my garden. I’m happy they sprouted.

By the way, butternuts are doing so well and I just harvested the first group yesterday.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1wHq4_eGLhWE0qlu0bmgFxAycwqdegCj8

I found some sprouting in the compost bucket from my kitchen waste in the beginning of summer. I saved them and planted where I could plant. I’m not a fan of butternuts, but I thought it would be great to impress my neighbors and some friends, and my husband said “I will eat them”. They are from 7 plants and I expect to be able to harvest totally more than double of this amount by the end of the season. I have never had a good crop of pumpkins as I hadn’t had more than one fruit from one plant. This year is really unusual. I hope it continues to the next year.