Sewing Club

 I am the president of the sewing club at the local community college. Due to the COVID19 situation, there is no club activity this semester but one of the regular members of the club sent me a photo today that she finally bought a sewing machine for herself.


I started the club in Spring 2019 by myself. I hoped the club to be a quilting club, but most of the members are not interested in making a quilt, so had to change the club to be a sewing club.  They usually sew a small item, sometimes a dress.





To start the club, I had a few extra sewing machines that were given by my quilting friends from the previous guild and sewing notions. Then, my quilting friends from the current guild donated materials and another sewing machine. 



The club now has three sewing machines and a lot of materials to practice sewing.

It is difficult to keep the same members through semesters since most students change what they want to do every semester. There is a club fair at the beginning of each semester. I set up the table for the sewing club and recruit members. 


(The very first members of the club who had never sewed before.)

Usually, about 20 students sign up, but only around 6 students come to the first meeting, then 4 to the second meeting, and become a few who come consistently. I luckily had a few come back every semester and I was able to have the vice president from the regular members. I will sad to see him go as he will graduate from college this December without having the club activity in his final semester. I will have to build the club from the scratch again when things get back to normal and students can come back to the campus.

The student who bought her own sewing machine is the second person who had never sewed before and got into sewing through the sewing club then bought a sewing machine. This makes me very happy as I feel I was able to influence a young person. 

Sewing is a practical skill for daily life - gardening as well. I would love them to know the fun of sewing and the pleasure of using what they made. I actually further want them to know making a quilt as self-expression, art quilts, but it would be a very long way for me to go.