Quilt Life in 2021

My quilt life this year was almost for charity quilts. An average of 5 quilts a month were turned in to my guild including 12 quilts that will be turned in at the December meeting. Some were easy kits provided by the guild, but the majority of them were derived from my own kits made with donated fabrics. Many people donate fabrics for a good cause, so I can enjoy making quilts for free - I pay for batting though. Donated fabrics are often out of my taste, so I enjoy a different world than mine as well.

Due to COVID, my husband and I didn't go out much except for grocery and daily goods shopping. I think I just had more than plenty of time to sew. (I am glad we both have hobbies to focus on. While I sew, he does amateur radio, especially in the field of teaching kids. He has been enjoying gathering materials for the future. We are having a nice time.) I do love making quilts and I really don't know what to do after the quilts are done. The charity quilts project nicely works for me as an avenue for my quilts to become useful. 

Here are some works in this year - some are tops and others are completed depending on when pictures were taken, before or after the quilts were completed.


(This one was very challenging to me.)







(Twinkle Stars - the guild tried this pattern and I received 10 leftover blocks. I didn't have a similar fabric to make another 2 to match with others, so removed one and added borders. The one removed is used in another quilt someday.)






The pattern (above two) is called "Cheaper by the Dozen". The guild makes a lot of kits with this pattern. It is very quick to make and looks good. Since I receive a lot of scraps of fabrics, I cut them out in 5.5 by 8 inches rectangles and store them for later use. One block consists of 6 rectangles and the block size is 15.5 inches (15" finished). This pattern is very appreciated for my practicing colors!

Next year, I would focus on making wall hangings more. I sometimes do as a project from the art quilt group I belong to but I (again) didn't know what to do after the project is done. I don't exhibit it nor sell it. Most of the walls in my home are occupied by my husband's bookshelves. So my works have no use. Also, I thought I always need to have a quilt hanger to hang a quilt (or a wall hanging), but I found that is not necessary.

In the past May (I think), the art quilt group had an exhibition at the local library. We talked about ways of hanging the quilts accommodating with the hanging equipment that the library had. I learned "sawtooth" there.

(This picture is from amazon.com)

To hang a quilt with a sawtooth, I need a bar (wood piece) to attach a sawtooth and 2 separated hanging sleeves on a quilt back. On the wall side, only one nail! Just in the same way as hanging a picture frame. I can use small wall space to hang my wall hangings! Also, I found a nail (a hook) to hang a Christmas wreath on the front door. It is perfect to hang my small quilts - so I can exhibit them to the neighbors. The front door has a storm glass door that is lockable. I don't have to think of protecting my quilts from rain and stolen. Nice!

I am looking forward to hanging them all over in my home next year :D