A new pattern for charity quilts

Continuing from the previous post, about the scrappy blocks and charity quilts.
A big day.

Since most recipients of the quilts are children, I heard the basic guideline is to use bright colors. I think my scrappy blocks are OK but I, at the same time, was wondering if it is better to include icons that children know such as heroic characters, and/or symbols such as houses, stars, flowers, and trees rather than just a bright quilt. Adults already have eyes developed to enjoy abstract designs and colors, but children need concrete symbols to associate pre-existing (taught) meanings and then like the quilt. I learned from the Child Development class of PSY that religion and abstract ideas can be understood after high school.



I initially thought of making a similar quilt with black borders like this with these blocks, but they are just colorful and do not show a concrete image. The blocks that have cats, butterflies, and flowers are okay.

So, I made the tree blocks. 6.6" blocks * 4 --> 12.5" square --> cut it into triangles --> add a trunk on the bottom of a triangle. You can make 2 trees out of one square.



In this layout (above), I did not like the empty space between the trees is too large. How about alternating? Since the alternating pattern got more votes in my quilt guild, I will go with this. Now, construction time!



**** ---- **** ---- **** ---- ****

By the way, I sometimes feel that I am going crazy with my scraps because I cannot throw them away.



Thanks to one of the quilt guild member who suggested me to try rail-fence, I thought it's a good idea to sew strips. Only strips. I sorted them out in approx. 7 inches long strips to organize and decided to throw away pieces shorter than 2 inches. Pieces longer than 2 inches are sewn together into 7 inches strips.



It became so easy to piece and make 6.5 inches squares!! I now feel like I can take other's scraps that I am sometimes offered to take.



Since the blocks made with the strips are easy to eyes because they have a direction. Humans need orders and patterns to feel comfortable. I think this is true.